Divorce Lawyer in DeSoto County
Choose Counsel That Puts Your Needs First
A divorce is one of the most intense and emotional experiences an individual can experience – but you can’t allow it to distract you. How well you fare in the divorce depends on your focus and determination. Fortunately, Heidi S. Milam, Attorney at Law, PLLC can help with those crucial factors. As a highly experienced DeSoto County divorce attorney, Heidi S. Milam is well-known for her ability to keep her clients on an even keel so that they can deal with the situation at hand calmly. Doing so can make a world of difference, especially when the proceedings involve child custody, child support, or substantial financial divisions. We guide you through the process while using our expertise to fight for your rights and interests. Along the way, we introduce solutions that will prepare you for life after your divorce.
Schedule your free initial consultation by calling our firm at (662) 855-0027 today.
We Know How to Navigate Mississippi’s Divorce Laws
We advise and represent our clients in an array of end-of-marriage scenarios, including:
- Uncontested Divorce
- Uncontested Divorces
- Military Divorces
- Child Custody
- Child Visitation
- Child Support
- Property Division
While navigating Mississippi’s complicated divorce law, we do so, which doesn’t make dissolving a marriage easy for either party.
Some Crucial Facts to Consider
All divorces go through a separate court – called a chancery court. There is no guarantee a judge will approve a divorce – even an uncontested one.
Mississippi is a no-fault state, which means if one party contests the divorce, and there are no legal grounds for the dissolution, divorce isn’t possible.
Finally, the state requires a property settlement agreement before the final divorce.
How To Get a Divorce in Mississippi
Getting a divorce in Mississippi is not an easy process and requires the parties to have a thorough understanding of the legal proceedings.
In order to begin the divorce process:
- Either party must file a Complaint for Divorce in DeSoto County. The Complaint must then be served on the other party in accordance with Mississippi law. The Complaint must include all relevant information and legal grounds for the divorce, such as a claim of irreconcilable differences or adultery.
- After being served, the responding party has 30 days to file an answer or a motion to dismiss. If no response is received, a default judgment may be taken against them.
- Once filed, the Court will require both parties to attend an initial hearing where they will receive further instructions and information regarding the proceedings.
- The Court will also set a date for a final hearing, where the parties can present their case and reach an agreement regarding child custody, spousal support, and property division.
- If the parties do not come to an amicable settlement, DeSoto County divorce attorneys can aid in court proceedings. Divorce attorneys possess extensive knowledge of family law and can provide invaluable advice to ensure that the parties’ rights are respected in court. Divorce attorneys will also be able to represent their clients throughout the entire proceedings and make sure that their interests are protected.
Getting a divorce in DeSoto County is an intimidating process, but our DeSoto County divorce attorneys can provide the necessary legal guidance and representation to make sure that your rights are respected throughout. We possess extensive knowledge of Mississippi family law and will ensure that you understand your options throughout the proceedings.
We Protect Your Rights During Division of Property
Outside of settling child custody and support concerns – as well as alimony – property division is the most emotional portion of the divorce proceedings. It is also incredibly complex. For instance, both parties must make an exhaustive list of their property and list whether they obtained the items before the marriage or during it. As for financial matters, all money is split down the middle. However, some retirement accounts, such as 401ks and IRAs, require a skilled attorney and some time to negotiate. Heidi S. Milam, Attorney at Law, PLLC will protect your rights and assets during this process and ensure you don’t lose more than you should.
We Help Our Clients Transition to a New Life
At Heidi S. Milam, Attorney at Law, PLLC, we want to ease the pain felt during the divorce. While we can’t take all of it, our representation will alleviate much of the burden you might feel during the divorce proceedings. Our job is to look out for your interests and help you transition into post-divorce life.
Contact Our Mississippi Divorce Attorneys
When confronted with the complexities of divorce in Mississippi, it is essential to make hiring a skilled divorce lawyer your top priority. Their expertise and guidance are invaluable, ensuring the safeguarding of your rights and interests throughout the entire process. Whether it involves asset division, spousal support, child custody, or visitation rights, a divorce lawyer will serve as your unwavering advocate at every step of the way. Attempting to navigate a divorce without legal representation can result in costly errors and unfavorable outcomes.
Protect your future by contacting a knowledgeable divorce lawyer in Mississippi today. Take the opportunity to discuss your case and receive the professional support you need to confidently navigate the divorce process. By taking this important step, you will empower yourself to work towards a fair resolution that lays the foundation for your fresh start. Schedule a consultation with our Mississippi divorce lawyer at Heidi Milam and experience the peace of mind you deserve during this challenging time.
Find out more about your options by contacting us at (662) 855-0027. Our divorce lawyer in DeSoto County is here to help.